Thread: 10 Second Rule
View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 18, 2005, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Hey everyone,

I was refereeing a 8th grade CYO game today, when the team who was bringing the ball up the court had used about 9.5 seconds of the 10 seconds they get to cross half court. This is when their coach calls timeout. My partner comes up to me - surprised I let them have the timeout before the 10 seconds was up - then says, "Okay I've got them at 9.5 seconds, they have half a second left." My understanding of the rule is when the timeout is called; the time to get the ball across half court is reset. We ended up getting in a huge argument over it after I said if we aren't sure, we should at least get it right by checking the rule book. My partner also was upset after the coach of one of the teams said he is currently a high school referee, and the time allowed to go across half court is in fact reset after a timeout (this is the same coach who called timeout). My partner also threatened to walk out on the game... very immature (he is about 60, I'm 18 - this is my 5th year though). Also, I happen to be the designated 'head ref' of the gym, and he was simply filling in. He was even more heated after I explained to him it should be my decision, right or wrong, due to my status as head referee.

By the way, we use the NFHS rule book. After searching through the rules book it only mentioned something about how the team in control of the ball has 10 continuous seconds to have the ball cross half court. My interpretation is a timeout in the middle of the 10 second count makes the count not continuous. What is everyone else's take?

Sorry for the venting, just letting it out. Thanks in advance for your replies.