Thread: Game Management
View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 16, 2005, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JCrow
Last night, I did my best. I was working with a guy that was new....

33 seconds left. Dead quiet. Team A's gym. Team A ahead by 1. A1 shooting the Double Bonus. As A1 was preparing to shoot, B1 who occupied the first lane space bends over. The poor kid had a glass eye. It fell out and bounced in the middle of the lane. Al you could hear was, "CLICK...CLIck....click". I closed my fist to signal - "disconcertion of the shooter". A1 airmailed the freethrow. At roughly the same time, the eye rolled across the lane to A2 who kicked it across the court towards Team A's Bench. I immediately blew an Unsportsmanlike Technical on A2 who I was preparing to throw out of the game. But before I could do that.....Coach A gets up from the bench to pick up the glass eye rolling toward him. My partner had ejected Team A's Assistant Coach in the first period. The Coach caught a T in the third period for arguing a 3 second call. So Coach A has to be glued to the bench. When he got up to catch the eye.....my partner called another technical on him for leaving the bench. Thus, leaving Team A with no Coach for the last 33 seconds. We tried to explain to the Table why Team B had just won the game on a forfeit but by then the fans were pretty upset.

My only question is, should my partner have cut Coach A a break on catching the glass eye? I just think the guy was trying to be helpful.

To be serious about your question...since nobody else appears to be...what would have happened if when you saw the eye, you'd have whistled the ball dead, got the eye situation fixed and re-administered the free throws?

No, violation on a kid that really, did not violate, IMO.

No T on A2 for possibly just being freaked out, I know I'd be weirded out by an eye rolling at me, so was kicking it really an unsporting act? Heck they might not have even known what it was, they may have thought someone had thrown something on the floor.

No T on a coach for picking up the poor kid's eye. Really was this within the spirit and intent of the rules?