View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 16, 2001, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
originally posted by LarryS
OK gentlemen...let's stay calm
Larry, I appreciate your efforts to remind us to be civil to one another. I mean that without any sarcasm whatsoever. One of the problems on the other board is the nasty tone that sometimes develops. Having said that, I believe that my last post, while written with deep conviction, was calm and (for the most part) rational. If anyone thought I was trying to shout down ksandi or bluezebra, I apologize. I don't believe that's what I did; and it's certainly not what I intended. This exchange probably doesn't belong on this board, but I didn't start it, so I'll just continue it here.

Quote:
Originally posted by ksandi
When I say those officials wearing flags is demeaning, I admit that it’s a bold statement. [snip] It doesn’t have anything to do with right versus wrong. That is a matter of opinion.

And while I support your right to express an opinion, you've given us absolutely no reason to accept your opinion. You simply state that it's demeaning. What I said in my last post is still true: "Somebody is going to have to explain this to me". You haven't done that. I honestly, sincerely have absolutely no clue as to how you could think I am dishonoring our soldiers by flying a flag from my car.

Secondly, it is naive (and an historically recent development) to think that your opinions (or mine, or anybody's for that matter) have nothing to do with right or wrong. Either it is demeaning to fly a flag, or it is not. We disagree. One of us is wrong. It's a simple matter of logic.

Quote:

To sum it all up, again my opinion is that officials should not have to wear flags on uniforms.
I agree with this wholeheartedly. But that does not address the real issue that is being discussed. Please, please try to explain to me, however, how my flying the flag on my car or on my garage demeans the very people that I am purporting to honor.

If your real point is that FORCING people to display the flag dishonors the soldiers then I might agree with you. But that's not what you've been saying to this point, as far as I can tell.

Chuck