View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 16, 2001, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by bluezebra
In the area where I live, I see many vehicles flying American flags. And I see them speeding, passing in no-passing zones, turn and change lanes without signaling, run stop signs and stop lights, etc. I even saw a woman throw trash out of a pick-up truck. All this in the name of patriotism, no doubt.
First, it is obviously not the case that throwing trash out the window is in the name of patriotism. Breaking the law is not a form of patriotism any more than flying a passenger airplane into the WTC is a form of Islam. Does that disqualify people who are genuinely patriotic from displaying the flag?

Second of all, even if the person is less than a perfect citizen, shouldn't he be allowed to show his support for those men and women of whom we are all so proud? Are you going to say that a person cannot fly a flag unless he perfectly meets the civic code? (How long is my beard supposed to be, anyway?) Of course not, b/c nobody lives up to that. So why bring it up in connection with flag-flying? I have a flag on my car antenna, and I admit that I sometimes speed and often fail to use my blinker to change lanes (GASP!!). Are you seriously going to tell me that I am bringing dishonor to the troops by doing this? I hope not, b/c such a claim is, quite frankly, ludicrous.

Quote:
Didn't someone once say, "Patriotism is the last refuge of scoundrels"?
Probably, but I prefer the insight that "War is history's way of teaching geography to Americans."

originally posted by ksandi
Quote:
any official chooses to wear a flag on his uniform, to me that would demean the accomplishments of the men & women who are putting their lives on the line everyday
Somebody is going to have to explain this to me. Here we have literally millions of people who are proudly, happily, defiantly displaying our flag (to which most of us pledged allegiance every day in grade school); we have citizens donating time, money, and blood; supporting their commander-in-chief (to the tune of 90% or so); we have citizens who are convinced that the men and women flying and fighting in Afghanistan are doing the morally right and honorable thing. They choose to offer a visible sign of their strong support and well-wishes for their fellow countrymen at arms. And this seen as "demeaning"?!?!? How in heaven's name can anyone say that?

I think, rather, that the citizens are demeaned by those who think that we are somehow unworthy to display a flag to show our pride and support; or that we are too ignorant to understand the meaning of the symbol that provides a link between all of us. We are not claiming "the accomplishments of the men & women who are putting their lives on the line everyday" as our own. Rather, we simply want to say that we are all on the same team. We want to cheer for the team in any way that we can. Can this really be "demeaning"? I would submit that it cannot.

Now back to your regularly scheduled baskeball thread. . .

Chuck