View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 15, 2005, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

I know that some of you don’t like Referee magazine, but Softball has been back for several years now and it is a good reference. However, I question a couple statements in recent issues and I thought I would bring them here for your input.

1. December issue, Caseplays. Interference by a runner against a defender attempting to make a play on a deflected ball. ASA (deflect) and NCAA (ricochet) require intent for interference to be called. NFHS and U-trip do not have a rule containing the word deflect. By strict interpretation of the book, interference is interference, intentional or not.

Referee recommends ruling in an NFHS or U-trip game as in the ASA or NCAA code. Intent is required; otherwise you probably have incidental contact or obstruction. What say you – would you use another book if your book does not specifically address the incident?

2. January issue. “How to get the tough calls right” by Jay Milner. Situation: defense attempting to turn 6-4-3 DP and R1 gets hit by the thrown ball. Jay states that if R1 is not close to 2B he would not call interference (absent any intentional act on the part of R1). However, ”if R1 remains on her feet as she nears 2B and could slide into 2B or avoid the throw but didn’t, rule intentional interference on the retired runner, and call runner out that is closest to home.”

Anybody here buying that interpretation?

WMB