View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 15, 2005, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

I am a reputable umpire who does travel ball, high school, and college. For the first time in many seasons, I find my strike zone being challenged considerably more than in the past by high scool and travel ball coaches and players. I use the same strike zone for high school, community league, and travel ball, that I use for college because I feel that eventually, the players must face that zone. I also feel that I've adapted my zone well to meet the changes in pitching that I've noticed and been made aware of to date such as: calling the low at-the-knee outside and inside corner, high logo inside and outside pitch. My strike zone is in the shape of an hour glass, with the top and the bottom tighter and the middle expanded. To me, my strike zone affords the best opportunity for making softball the offensive game I feel it should be. I gage my zone when a batter first settles herself properly inside the box, eyeing the knee and the logo then the inside, outside, and the face of the plate. I feel that I am fair and consistant, but my problem and maybe I'm being too self conscious about it, that for the first time I'm beginning to get defensive with coaches and players. Have any of my brethren sufered through this like I am, and how did, or do, you deal with it