View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 14, 2005, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FUBLUE
I guess we shall agree to disagree, becuase I too can quote a dictionary,
Apparently not.
Quote:
but isn't that just Websters perception of what the definition of reality is?

Any time we enact judgment upon someone we are using perception. Unfortunately, when we "advance" in our careers, the perception of those evaluating us is the reality we must deal with.
The Superior Court of New York declared Kris Kringle the one and only Santa Claus. Maybe Mr. Macy, Gimbel and Sawyer have to live with that "reality", but it doesn't make it real.

Speaking of evaluations, perception is only the basis for a follow-up discussion with the individual and should never be the sole event used to determine how an umpire is to be evaluated. That happened to one of the umpires I sent to a national tournament this year. After checking with all those involved, it seemed that the on-site person aiding the UIC in evaluating the umpires saw an umpire talking to a member of the ground crew and ASSUMED the umpire was making them do something. He reported to the UIC that there was no way these two umpires should be working on Sunday, that they were causing trouble at the complex. This appeared on the umpire's evaluation.

I talked to the umpire, a member of the on-site crew and the TD to determine what had occurred which reflected poorly on this umpire and his partner. Turned out that the person who directed the ground crew was the TD. The umpire didn't do a thing wrong and actually got an "atta boy" for handling the situation. I cornered the TD and UIC and brought this to their attention. The UIC requested and received permission from ASA to ammend the evaluation of the umpire crew on the field.

One individual's perception does not make something real anywhere, but in that person's own world. Luckily, what was real for everyone else prevailed and kept this umpire in good standing. BTW, no, I was not the umpire.