View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 15, 2001, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

OK, I am a newbie but this is an area I feel comfortable in addressing...especially since I have taught flag etiquette and the US Flag Code to BSA adult leaders. The Flag Code specifically states that the star field is ALWAYS in the its own uppermost right, viewers left. Check the uniforms of police, fire and patriotic groups and you will find that it is worn on the RIGHT sleve as close to the seam as possible without touching it. If you are going to wear it or display it, do it properly...anything less is worse than not wearing or displaying it.

Also the Code state; "(j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations."
In my opinion, if your organization has never worn the flag as part of you official uniform, then they would not fall in the category of "patriotic organization" since those are commonly held to be VFW Post, POW/MIA organizations, the BSA, etc. In these times however, I think it would be a good gesture of support for the nation and our men and women serving in harms way.

I agree that it should be consistent in the entire crew.