View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 14, 2001, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

No offense Mark but...

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
My opinion is that the flag should not be worn on the uniform. The U.S. Flag Code states that the flag should not be worn as an article of clothing or on an article of clothing (it makes specific reference to 'athletic uniforms/costumes') with the exception of a flag patch for police, fire fighters, EMT's, and members of patriotic organizations (ie. VFW).
I've heard this bull**** argument about as many times as I can stand it. There's nothing in the flag code that defines what a patriotic organization is. If my association votes to wear the flag in support of our country, then guess what? We just became a patirotic organization.

In case no one has noticed, all NFL, NBA, MLB, and NCAA teams are wearing the flag on their uniforms or helmets. I heven't paid attention to other officials but MLB umpires wore the flag. I beleive the NHL is wearing the red, white, and blue ribbon instead, perhaps because there's so many Canadian teams. I don't know if the Raptors are wearing the flag or not.

As for our association, we can wear it if we would like to. However, if one member of a crew doesn't want to wear it, then the crew doesn't wear it. If both or all 3 agree, then they can wear the flag 2 inches below the left shoulder seam.

Oaky, I'm putting my soapbox back in the closet.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith