View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

There is a fine line between giving a T too fast and not enforcing proper bench decorum. T's are pretty subjective.

We have some guys in our local association who give out T's like they are Christmas candy. We have other guys who put up with way too much abuse from coaches and refuse to give a T.

I hope to be somewhere in the middle, but during a season where I work almost every night of the week, there are times when I second-guess myself after the game both ways. There have been games where I drove home wishing I had given a warranted T and other times when I felt that maybe I was a bit quick on the trigger. I'm fortunate to be working varsity level games where 95% of our coaches worry more about the game than the officials. In general, coaches at the lower levels haven't learned as well to "just coach" and let us ref.

Being a good communicator and noticing when frustration is STARTING to developer rather than when it blows over helps. Sometimes we don't get that luxury.

I have given only one T this year and it was to support my partner when he made a good call and an assistant coach slammed a clipboard to the ground.

Z