View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 02:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by truerookie

Rut, I take allowance to some of your comments. I approach the game ready to enforce all infractions which may occur during the course of the game. I personally, do not see a need to talk anyone out of anything. IMO, officials who are giving out T's are correcting behavior that other officials let go (like talking people out of things). Thus, causing them to be labeled.You are correct in stating, we allow things to continue and continue until it is out of control. Tolerance levels, are different for each official what you may let go others may not. IMO, if the situation warrants a T's you can bet you sweet a** they will receive one.

This in my opinion is where the "HOMER" official concept come into play. I will continue to hire so and so because they will talk me out of anything.
Here is the thing, you have a right to your opinion and I have a right to my opinion. I want to give Ts that everyone can see (not always possible). I do not want to give Ts when no one understands them. If you feel the only way to correct behavior is by giving a T that is your right to feel that way, but remember when you give one and you could have said a little word first, it will not be I that can say later, "I told the coach before......" If you have a reputation for giving Ts all the time, then the when you give a T to someone, instead of the behavior being questioned, your actions or ability becomes questioned.

Look I had a game earlier in the year where a coach yelled at each of my partners and me across the court about calls. The first opportunity I had to talk to this coach he went nuts. He did not curse, he did not get personal and really he was not being anything but loud. After what I said to him, he did not say another word the rest of the game. He got the message and the behavior stopped without a single T. Now maybe he knew I meant business and stopped. In my opinion I won. Now if you feel that giving a T would have solved a problem then do that. I just know that it was not a big deal in my game, giving a T might have made it a bigger deal.

Once again, the officials that have a reputation for giving Ts are usually not the ones picked for the bigger and better games where the pressure is on in my experience.

Peace