View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 13, 2005, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PIAA REF
After reading some of these posts about whacking people, throw her out and all the other comments it just seems that you all have a lot of T's. I just find this really uncommon. I at most might give 3 T's a year. Most of them are probably on players for unsportsmanlike things such as taunting or swearing at an opponent. You all seem to have many T's and give them frequently. Do you think that T's are given more often in different parts of the country. I hail from PA and I seldom give a T and neither does my chapter in whole (we have some that give the pretty easy). I was just curious. (But again I did start early this year, already had 1)
You bring up some valid points, IMO.

But, you do have to remember...there are many officials that post here from around the country...so you are seeing a sampling of different situations from many officials. How many T's do you think are given, around the country, on any given Friday or Saturday night during the BBall season? So, while it may seem like everyone here is T happy...I believe most officials here are just giving their opinion on what they would do if a given situation occured during their game. Many of the officials here probably wouldn't have to worry about it...because the situations might not have escalated to the point of giving a T. (Game Management, presence, credibility, etc.)

Having said that...I just threw out a freaking 7th grade coach the other day for Pete's sake. This was only my 2nd coach ejection in about 17 years of officiating. So either I was having a bad game management day...or he was having a bad "recognizing the situation he was in" day...or a combination of the two...or niether at all, who knows? IMO, it's a feel we get as officials if a T should be issued.

Another example...last night our 3 person crew had a H.S. Varsity coach that probably could/should have been whacked. He had been well behaved for most of the game...but, late in the game his frustration over being behind came out in a not so positive manner. I didn't think he quite crossed the line...but, after the game the AD told us he thought we were going to "take care of his boy" and "we should have went ahead and done it". This tells me we might not have "taken care of business" in the AD's opinion...but, it also might suggest that the AD wants us to "take care of business" so he doesn't have to...or so he will have some ammunition when he goes to discipline him for his behavior. Who knows? Just another learning experience to add to a growing number of learning experiences in this field.
Richland, WA