View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 12, 2005, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ATXCoach

I appologize personally to rainmaker as I was not in any way meaning to attack or battle you - I was simply being an idiot (or a "smarta**").

Apology accepted! I figured you weren't an idiot, since all your other responses have been pretty reasonable. So my experience (translate: old age) pays off, in letting me avoid a scrap by giving the benefit of the doubt.

I'm also very willing to admit that a lot of coaches in Austin are idiots. A lot of coaches everywhere are idiots. And I'd be glad to except present company.

I think your best bet in regard to the post plays you're describing is to roll with the punches. If the girls don't want to learn it, then find something else they can work with. From your description, the play sounds as though it's illegal, even if it's never called.

My personal opinion is that you can't lose by teaching players to play completely legally. Even if they only get called for a certain move once a year, if that one call is during the state playoffs or the AAU state championship, it's gonna hurt. If everything is always completely legal, then there's nothing to sweat.

I suggest you modify your drop-step slightly to make it completely legal. Here's how. Have your players take their first step toward the baseline and lift the foot away from the baseline just as they receive the ball. Then the rest of the move is completely legal.

Another modification would be for them to shoot a little earlier, as you point out in your footnote. I can imagine that the shot won't be as accurate, but it also won't be illegal.

Or receiving the ball with their "down" foot as the pivot, they could conceivably pivot 180, take a long step toward the baseline with their non-pivot, lift the pivot and shoot.

I also think it's at least highly possible that the same refs that are calling your games, are calling the hs games, and they're still being called differently. I'd suggest going to some of the best hs games in your area and see if things aren't somewhat tighter than what you get in the summer.