View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 30, 2000, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bob:
[B]I've noticed before on TV that the plate guy is in several different places on plays at the plate. He may be on the first base line extended, up the 3rd base line a bit, or on 3rd base line extended.

What are the considerations for when they go to each position? When do they go there? Are they reading the throw and adjusting?

Papa C has given you what is the general instructed mechanic but IMO on plays at the plate it depends upon which direction the ball is heading.

All bases are important but being in the proper position at the plate to me is extremely important as this particular play could be Game Time.

Sometimes if we always go to the 1BS we can be blocked out and not get a good clear view of the swipe tag by F2 on the 3BS.

We do not want to get bowled over either but the ball will take us to the play and it's important to get into the best position regardless if it's the 1BS or the 3BS.

If I find myself on the 1BS and the ball is headed for the 3BS, I move in the direction of the middle of the plate area to get a clear view - that way I will not get bowled over and be in the runners way.

Also, if I'm in the middle of the plate area, I get out of the way as soon as I make the call because there could be other runners on base and I do not want to get in the way of F2 throwing to say second base.

Pete Booth