View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 10, 2005, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Because in my plays the officials are checking to see if the shot clock was reset. They are not looking at the tape to decide whether or not the ball hit the ring.

The rule clearly says, "...the shot-clock operator failed to..."
That is what they need to be looking for. The tape is being consulted to reveal the actions of the shot-clock operator. Did he or did he not reset the clock.

In the play in the Georgetown/Illinois game there is no doubt at all that he did NOT reset the clock, since the horn sounded during the play. So why the need to go look at the tape?

They weren't looking at the tape for the right reason in my humble opinion. They were using the monitor to decide upon something else, namely whether or not the ball hit the ring.

That, sir, is why my two plays are valid reasons for checking the TV monitor and the Georgetown/Illinois play is not.
The rule states they can use the monitor to determine if the shot clock operator failed to properly reset the shot clock.

If the ball hits the rim on a try and the shot clock operator did not reset the shot clock then it is clear, even to a lawyer, that he failed to *properly* reset it. It should also be clear, even to a lawyer, that the only way to determine if the shot clock operator failed to properly reset the shot clock in this case is to determine if or if not the ball hit the rim.

No?