View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 10, 2005, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

I believe that the rule we are looking at was intended for the following plays:

1. B1 fouls A1 with 27 seconds on the shot clock. Team A is awarded a throw-in. The shot-clock operator fails to reset the clock. With 10 seconds left on the shot clock the coach of Team A brings this to the attention of the officials. Since the officials can't recall exactly when the foul occurred or if the shot clock was reset, they can go to the monitor to see if the operator failed to reset the clock.

2. With 4 seconds on the shot clock A1 trys for goal. The ball contacts the ring and A2 grabs the rebound. The shot clock is reset. He dribbles out to the corner and then shoots with 31 seconds on the shot clock. A2's try strikes the ring and A3 rebounds. However, the shot clock is not reset this time. Team A continues to run their offense until a time-out is taken with 2 seconds on the shot clock. Now the coach of Team A questions the officials on the correctness of the shot clock, claiming that he should have 6 or 7 seconds left. The officials can go check the monitor to see if the coach is correct.

In both cases the officials on the court must determine that the ball in fact did hit the ring by themselves without the monitor, they are only using the monitor to see if the clock was properly reset at those times.

I still don't believe that this rule was ever intended to allow the monitor to be used in the way Burr and Hightower used it in the Illinois/Georgetown game.

But I am a little fish, and they are big fish, so I could well be incorrect. I am merely attempting to learn the correct interpretation. Perhaps they broke new ground in that game. Perhaps they will be lauded for their use of the monitor. Perhaps they will be chastised. I don't know.