View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 09, 2005, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by refnrev
Tuesday night. Officiating a boys JV game in nearby school. Visiting team has ball early. Guard picks up his dribble. Defender starts yelling, "Ball ball, ball." I ask myself, "Am I really hearing this at a boys HS game?" I thought this was young "chick ball" thing. Then, last night watched the local HS V girls game. In the 2nd half the entire visiting team yelled, "Ball, ball, ball" each time they were on defense. They did this the entire second half. Is this becoming common in other areas at levels above jr. high? Tell me it ain't so!
LOL...I teach this ball, ball , ball, method to my players every year. However, it may seem funny but there is some rationale to it. We play a full court man-to-man denial defense. When the player you are guarding picks up his/her dribble, then I teach my player guarding the ball to get close to her oppenent yelling ball, ball, ball, this lets her teammates know that the dribble is dead and now its time to closeout on your man and deny all passing lanes. It works!! You normally wont see it at the boys V level because they are a little more in tune with the game. Its just one of those things where we all work together for the greater good of the team.