View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 07, 2005, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nate1224hoops
Quote:
Originally posted by ColdShot
If the assistant does *not* leave the bench, asks for a call,
but does not scream, what is an appropriate response?
I agree with a lot of what has been said already. It depends on how far off the bench the AC was and what his tone is/was? If he was showing an official up then T him immediately; however, dont be too quick to hit the TWEETER and hand out a T. I never speak to AC just to HC's. If you give the HC and stern stiff warning such as: "you are the only one allowed up off the bench and your AC needs to have a seat and stop yelling...if not its gonna cost you your box." I know this will work. I just recently, this year, started coaching and hung the wistle up for a few years. In our game last night, I was all over the place, coaching from tip to final horn. I was never yelling at an official or even asking for a call, just coaching my players. I was outta the box more than in, but I was coaching. I think officials will grant you this as long as your not at mid court screaming at them....coaching is one thing and lobbying for calls is another.

The reason I say this is because I value my priviledge as a coach to walk the sideline and COACH. Most coaches do. So if you, as an official, issue a stern warning to a HC about his AC, then most of the time the HC will take care of the situation.
You stated it yourself, you are in violation of a rule out of coaching box. Did the officials cover the coaching box with you in their pregame? Stern warning issue in pregame with coaches.

The conduct you describe is a POE this year. Discipline, yourself to stay within the confines of the box.