Thread: I'm on-ball
View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 06, 2005, 04:52pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
But if not, the official who has the primary area should pick up the primary matchup, which is always the ballhander and defender.

Yes, otherwise, why rotate? If your C can handle the ballhandler fine, then let him/her. If you rotate over, then as soon as the rotation is completed, your C gives up the play and rotates to Trail and you have on-ball coverage. I mean, that's exactly why you rotated, isn't it?
Hmmm...gotta disagree with these points. The primary competitive match-up is NOT necessarily the ball-handler and dribbler...it could be...it usually is...but not ALWAYS.

And no, I don't rotate so I can have on-ball coverage. I rotate because the post players went/are going/will be going across...I'm not sure why you would rotate just to get to on-ball coverage. Sure that happens - you rotate and end up picking up the ball right away, but that shouldn't be why you rotate.

Maybe this is just one of those differences between NCAAM and NCAAW mechanics...don't know enough about your side of it to say...