View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 06, 2005, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SeanFitzRef
Dealing with coaches...

I've been at this for @ five years, and I've been told I do a pretty good job of dealing with coaches. My 'recipe for success', if you will:

1) Come in with a 'Have Fun' attitude. Not saying I come in clowning around, but that I enjoy being around basketball. This is a fun game, so let's keep it that way.

2) Solid pregame with partner(s) and coach/captains. Both of these meetings go a long way, because you can establish some form of communication with the coaches and show them that you aren't there to give them a hard time. One quick joke in the pregame can go a long way in the game in terms of approachability.

3) Hustle and flow. If I'm hustling to get to my spots, and the game is flowing smoothly, there is less time for coaches to complain because they need to coach their respective teams. If the game gets too physical, do what needs to be done to clean it up. The players determine the flow of the game, but they will adjust to the officials if the game is tight.

4) Don't be afraid to talk to the coaches. There was a philosophy that you shouldn't ever talk to coaches, but I am a former coach and I can understand the thought process of some coaches and what they are looking for in the game. Some coaches have NO thought process at all, so leave them alone.

5) Kill 'em with kindness. Be extra polite, stay as relaxed as possible, and address their concern, but don't give them more than 10-15 seconds. Anything more than that is asking for trouble. Visit the topic once, and only once. Only answer questions, not the complaining and whining.

6) Ignore 'em. Almost contradictory, but it's not. When they start to 'sideline ref': 3 Seconds!, traveling!, And one!!, that's a foul!, etc. Just ignore them like you ignore the fans. They are only looking for an advantage for their team, while my job is to manage the game.

7) Don't overexplain! This is the Golden Rule, to me. If you think you spent too much time discussing a situation, you did. Don't try and explain advantage/disadvantage, how you choose to call 3 seconds, why this play is a handcheck but that one isn't, because they won't understand. Their player #15 might have given 3 kids concussions, but s/he is just 'playing hard', but if opponent #23 is within 3 feet of their players, you hear "Get 'em off!"