View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 04, 2005, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

You have to fit advice that fits your personality.

A cute/funny line that one official can get away with, won't work for another.

A stern warning or look may work for some, while another may get laughed at for doing it.

There is no blanket to throw over this one.

My advice:

The box, first time by, "Coach where are you at?" Second time, if that does not fix it, "Coach I need you in your box."

If they are out blasting me or my partner, well, I won't be worrying about them being out of their box, because they won't have one after the T.

I don't feel the need to address statements, unless it is with a warning or a T. Questions in a respectful manner get answered, as briefly and professionally as possible.

The coach that is yapping, but not crossing the line, pretty much gets ignored, unless their actions trickle down to the players or they become a distraction.

At that point I simply give a visual stop sign and calmly say, "Coach I've heard enough."

Once that warning is given, you don't give another.

If one coach is a problem and you do nothing to correct it, you have given permission for the other coach to act up.

Set the standard of conduct, enforce it consistently and sternly. Be calm and professional, don't lower yourself to their level, and never say anything that does not need to be said.

Try different things now in these games, find tactics that fit your personality, don't be fake, don't BS, and always be polite and professional.