Thread: Racial Slurs
View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 04, 2005, 10:13am
tpaul

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Hickland
It's been 30 years since blowing the first whistle and I have to say things have gotten worst with the parents.

Today's environment at all levels seems much more competitive. Used to be 7 and 8 year olds the parents watched the kids play and were happy. Now parents act like every game is the Super Bowl.

If youngsters are suppose to look to coaches as mentors there is a grave problem. I have had players apologize for the acts of their coaches. That is not to say all coaches are poor examples, in fact, a majority of them are good examples. But one bad act by one bad coach gets amplified.

And those coaches who exhibit their disdain for officials incite parents into their rage and it grows like a snowball rolling down a snow covered hill.
Ed,
unfortunately I agree with you 100%. I gave up pop-warner games over 5 years ago. I may fill in a one weekend to help out but not a weekly thing anymore. I loved working with the younger kids. Teaching some of the rules and groofing around with them. But all it takes is one stupid parent or coach to freak out and yell something stupid....