View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 03, 2005, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by coachgbert
Hi. I have a quick question before our first youth rec league game tomorrow. I have a 4th grade girls team. One of my players is a diabetic and wears a medical alert bracelet 24/7. She is prone to problems upon activity, like basketball. I want to make sure I know about any rules differentiating "jewelry" from medical alerts. This alert bracelet is tight fitting by use of a velcro strap. I can tape the bracelet part and leave the emblem visible that declares diabetic. The only reference I could find was :

Players shall not wear jewelry with the exception of religious or medical medals. A religious medal must be taped and worn under the uniform. A medical alert must be taped and may be visible.

Does this cover my player and can I reference it if an official at the game (who will likely be young or inexperienced) questions her medical alert?

thanks everyone. I just want to do what's right.

Coach GBert
Coach -- yes, yes, and yes. The best way to keep things clean would probably talk to the tournament director ahead of time, showing him the rule book, and saying that this is the proper way to tape. Get td to approve it ahead of time, like this, and then when you have your inexperienced official, be sure to approach him or her early and talk about it calmly, stating that td has already approved it. It's extra work for you, but it will prevent a lot of problems.

And you get stars in your crown for being a coach who likes to follow the rules, and sees the value in pursuing that goal. I wish we could clone you around here!