View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 02, 2005, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

I've been asked by my church group to train basketball officials from several individual programs spread over a couple of counties. I'll have about 90 minutes. I've been wracking my brain, trying to figure out how best to distill bball officiating down to its simplest form. Being a bear of very little brain, it isn't working all that well.

At the moment I'm planning on about 30 minutes for classroom training and 60+ minutes on the floor working a scrimage.

In the classroom training, I'm thinking about covering:
  • Basic positioning (including boxing the players in, movement at lead and trail)
  • Switching
  • Getting good angles
  • Getting the ball live (administring jump ball, throw-in and free throws)
  • Reporting
  • New rules, probably only team control foul
  • Be confident, even if you have to fake it
  • Eye contact with partner
  • Brief pregame with partner and watch warmups to look for jewelry (Rather than hiding in the stands until game time because they feel like a fish out of water)
{edited to revise the list based on feedback}

What I'm really looking for are some workable guidelines on what to teach and how to teach it. As I see it, the task is to present the basics in such a way that the attendees can then go back to their local programs and be successful, and pass along what they've learned -- a train the trainers kind of approach.

A good 30 minute instructional video on 2-whistle would be fantastic. Is there one out there?

I welcome any suggestions.

[Edited by Back In The Saddle on Dec 2nd, 2005 at 04:35 PM]