Thread: Other Signals
View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 01, 2005, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

It does take quite a bit of time off the clock. Time yourself. Usually 2-3 winds then stoppage.

In a five man crew, the communication with the referee should occur immediately prior to marking it ready. The wing official involved should give the signal (finger wind)to the referee while the chains are being set.

With 6 or 7 man crews (with deep wing ball rotation) the referee and the wing official should have communicated prior to the game that when the ball is initially spotted, if it is placed out of bounds the clock starts on the snap. If it is placed in bounds the clock starts on the ready.

This is what I use as a wing in both high school and college games. It works very well. I think that some state associations are still using the wind and chop mechanic but I have found that the communication is better doing it the ways I have described. Depending on where you are officiating you may get dinged by the state or conference supervisor of officials either way. Find out which is recommended and use that.