View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 01, 2005, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Well Suudy, welcome to the Canadian game, eh? It's the same but very different to be sure. A previous poster mentioned the neutral zone causing more open play, but IMHO, I think its the motion, wider field (65yrds) and especially the three downs that make it more wide open. I've always thought the NFL game would be better if those great athletes had more room to move around in.

In terms of mechanics, you are correct in noticing the Umpire makes the call on the goal line, and I believe your outside guys do that. I prefer our mechanic as it allows a much closer view on wether or not the ball breaks the plane, but perhaps there's a reason for your way down south. We are taught, when working "the pit", to line up just outside the DE's butt on the wideside and take a step into the line at snap and that should leave you right on the line...in practise.

Finally with regard to the hats and the flags, Rumour has it that the CFL guys will be changing to your hat patten (which, strangely enough, is ours at the Cdn. Amateur level as well) and using yellow flags next year, but I can't confirm that.