View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 08, 2001, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rgaudreau
Quote:
Originally posted by parkssa
Bringing this over from another board.

Is it a block or charge if player A (with the ball) runs into player B after B has established legal guarding position except that B has one foot inbounds and one foot out of bounds?

Has legal guarding position REALLY been established if B1 is standing out of bounds?

My guess is no.... foul on B1.

Ren
Let's go to the book! 4-23 defines guarding and legal guarding position. No where in this section is in or out-of-bounds referenced. Only the floor is referenced, not the court or a location on it. Where the book says ".. The guard must have both feet touching the floor. ..." are you going to interprete that as meaning "... touching the floor and inbounds"?

Further, once legal guarding position is obtained, article 3 applies and reads:

Art 3 ... After the initial guarding position is obtained:

a. The guard is not required to have either or both feet on the floor or continue facing the opponent.

OK, so if you previously interpreted "on the floor" as implying inbounds, then once legal guarding position is obtained, then to be consistant you need to interprete 4-23-3a as not requiring both feet to be inbounds and the defender could be OOB and still have legal guarding position

So, unless someone can show me where the floor means the inbounds area of the court, I've got a PC.