View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 29, 2005, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ljudge
In my Pre Game with a coach on Turkey Day he gave me the following description of a play.

He said on 4th down plays the QB goes under center, everybody gets set, then the QB legally goes "in motion" in that he's walking toward his bench with his hands out to the side (palms facing up) as if to indicate he's confused and needs more direction from the coaching staff. The ball then gets snapped to the fullback who advances beyond the LTG.

I replied this was not legal deception as with belly, reverse, etc. and this was illegal and would be ruled USC prior to the snap. He tried to convince me that officials allowed this in the prior week's playoff game. I told them they had erred and this was illegal.

Then he wanted to modify the play and have the QB "point at the receiver" as if he was giving him further instructions.

I said "coach, you know as well as I do you're trying to trick the defense into thinking there's some kind of problem when the snap is imminent and that's illegal." He was a little annoyed and I said it's not legal today.
Good job, LJ. I can't wait 'til the first time I see this play!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith