View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 28, 2005, 08:39am
MABO Member

I am interested to hear others opinions about distinguishing between a hard foul or if the foul should be called Intentional. I had a couple of instances this weekend where the coach asked if the call should have been intentional. NCAA rules, Boys 14 yrs old, district level ball. Very intense and competitive teams. This level would be considered equivalent to High school JV in the States.
First the defender jumped in the air to try and block a pass near mid court, as he landed the offense stepped forward. The defender did not make an attempt to avoid the other player and hit him quite hard. I called the foul but did not see it as an intentional. Second instance was Player was driving to the hoop for a layup, defender jumps to make a play on the ball but bodies the offense. Foul called. As the play continues, the defense apparently continues with his momentum to drive the offense into the basket supports. I was trail and was not in a position to actually see the very end of the play.

My opinion, hard foul should be called in each instance. The second would have constituted an ejection for intent to injure had I seen the actual act. Any comments, remember I am not asking if I made right or wrong call, just where do others draw the line.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.