View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 27, 2005, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Hmmmmm....

Biggie, I like your thinking. Your interpretation is wrong (NFHSwise: See case 3.2.2, Sit. A) but if a batter-runner hits one that gets by a fielder into a corner for an apparent easy in-the-parker, trips over third base and is helped up by a coach, THEN he is out.

The coach has ruined the offense's chance at a potential award here. The order of things and the number of bases to nullify obstruction have no bearing here. The obstruction surely caused a trip (to the ground, not the mound) but had there been no interference by the coach, the obstruction could have been awarded. Instead, since the ball is delayed dead (thus, live when the interference occurred) the runner is still liable to be put out for some other reason. If put out by a fielder, the umpire would then have to judge where the runner would have been protected to. Since physical interference by a coach has a specific penalty, one that we must enforce if it occurs during a live ball, then we can still get the out.

Furthermore, my first post gave an answer that can't be correct. If the order of the infractions has no importance in this play, then (B.) cannot be a correct answer, even if one was to enforce the obstruction.

I now go with (C.).