View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 27, 2005, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SanDiegoSteve
I could be wrong, but I'm going out on that proverbial limb to say "B" is correct.

My reasoning is simple: The runner started out at second base. He was advancing on a hit. He was obstructed.

There. I am going to award this guy home, because F5 has deprived him of his right to run unimpeded. We'll never know whether or not he would or wouldn't have scored had there been no obstruction. I will make the case that he would have, in my judgment. I have the runner protected to home plate. If they subsequently make a play at home on this runner, I have obstruction and the run scores.

Had there not been obstruction, then I would have coaches interference, and that runner would be out.
All hits do not result in R2 scoring, it depends on what kind of hit and where. The obstruction in the question was on the 3B man, before he reached the base (he tripped over the base after the obstruction) so the award should be 3B. The question did not lead us any farther than that. The question does not lead us to consider why he tripped, he just tripped. Even if the obstruction caused him to trip does that relieve the 3B coach from a coaches interference penalty? I don't know why it would. This is why I did not want to read more into the question than is there. Don't assume anything that is not specifically mentioned in the question and then rule.