View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 27, 2005, 10:51am
tpaul

Quote:
Originally posted by Zebra29
*note* : I did not see this play happen, I am merely stating a generality.

The clock does not stop when the receiver hits the ground. The clock stops after the officials have signaled for the clock to stop. They cannot do that until they are certain that the play has resulted in a first down.

In a long pass play, I'm sure it was obvious that a first down had been gained, but that still does not allow for the clock operator to stop the clock before a signal has been given, and a slight delay is simply a human factor. If officials signalled the SECOND something happens every time, how many inadvertant whistles and signals would we see?

Again, I have not seen this game, but I could almost guarantee you that this crew stopped and started the clock on a consistent basis throughout. You don't change the way you do things just because one team is trying to hurry things up.

I can easily see (without seeing) a receiver going down with :04, the clock being stopped at :02, and the clock expiring on a spiked ball. Especially because the same thing could happen with 7:04 and 7:02 and not a single word would be said.
of course people watch the clock much closer the less time it has on it...