View Single Post
Old Sat Nov 26, 2005, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Many of the interpretations that never make it into the Case Book. I'm not sure why, as it would seem like a smart thing to do. But they don't.

As I told someone on another thread, writing a rule book is English Composition, not Mathematics or Science. There are many situations that are gray instead of black and white. Instead of focusing on those gray areas, why not just focus on the basics, which is what a young official needs most.

For example, waiting for my game, I sat and watched the JV game in front of me last Tuesday. The JV Girls went to OT. They were about to start the OT with the AP arrow. Fortun ately, the home team had the arrow and I was sitting opposite table on that end. I got up, walked to the L and asked, "Is this OT?" "Yes." "Then why are you starting it with a jump ball?" He went and told his partners what I had said and then still discussed it for 2 minutes before they decided to toss it.

Rick, I would focus on the basics and answer questions on plays as they're brought to you. It's not possible to teach them everything they need to know in a clinic seting anyway. 50% of it is OJT anyway. None of us know it all. So encourage them to read the books, the website and to participate in these types of boards. That's all you can do.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith