View Single Post
Old Sat Nov 26, 2005, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Clarification

BktBallRef,

I don't mean to be a jerk, but are you suggesting that we need the casebook and interpretations just for officials who don't understand the rules and their applications? It seems to me, that some language in the rules is not entirely clear to rational, intelligent, and experienced officials. Occasionally there are disagreements in this forum, even among those who consistently exhibit an excellent knowledge of rules and their applications. I chose my examples because I had encountered them recently and perhaps there are better examples. For instance, in the line-up for free throws (Rule 8-1-4), it tells where “opponents” and teammates “may” stand. (Since is says “opponents” should I assume that the coach can stand there?) Later, the Federation clarified that players might also stand in some other places. Before the clarification, quite reasonable people had assumed another meaning.

My point is that officials who have been around for five or ten years may remember interpretations and situations that the Federation never included or has phased out of their casebook. For officials taking their first test (closed book for IAABO) or even for those taking their second or third test (open book in New Hampshire), how are they suppose to know all of the not-currently-in-print interpretations? How can I know them so I can teach my students?