View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 25, 2005, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

On our state's IAABO open book test this year we had the play where, during a throw-in, a player jumps from his frontcourt, catches the throw-in, and passes to a teammate who is standing in the backcourt. (Backcourt Violation Quiz Play 3B.) Some people answered the question correctly using poor reasoning, but most answered incorrectly. If I were not a regular reader at this forum, I wouldn't know the answer. I know the rule says that the player may "return to the floor", but it seems like a rational inference that it would be legal to make the pass. At this forum, I also learned that disconcertion during a free throw also applies to a coach, even though he is not an "opponent".

Anyway, I am not looking for help with specific rules. This is the second year that I am teaching the class to prepare prospective officials to take the written test, and I want to teach them rules or cases that are not documented in the current rulebook or casebook. They do not have a library of old books and interpretations. One lives in a college dorm room and doesn't even have an attic. I have saved a few books from recent years, but how do I find all of these old interpretations? I am starting a file of such cases as I discover them, but how do I know what I haven't discovered? Where do I tell my students to look for such answers?