View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 25, 2005, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Federation answers:

As soon as an A player ("K") catches or recovers a kick beyond the neutral zone the ball becomes dead immediately. In contrast to the NFL the K player in fed can have part of his body in the endzone. In other words, the K player can be standing just inside R's goalline and extend his hands out into the field of play and catch a punt. This is NOT a touchback because the kick never penetrated the plane of R's goal line.

In yesterday's Dallas v. Denver game I believe Austin correctly ruled on the play. If I recall the play correctly the kick became dead so even if the player in the EZ subsequently touched the ball it couldn't be a TB.

Now let's address the inadvertent kick. If the K player inadvertently kicks the ball and it crosses the goalline it's still considered to be the scrimmage kick and also force is never a factor in kicks entering R's endzone. So this would be a touchback.

On your last question I'm a little confused in how you phrased it so I'll give you two correct, and complete answers.

If the ball is touched by K at the 3 and then controlled at the 1 it immediately becomes dead at the 1. Team R however may take the ball at the 3 because that is the spot of first touching.

If the ball is flat out first touched and recovered at the 1 (never touched at the 3) then it's R's ball at his own 1.

Now I have a question: How much money was lost on this bet between you and your buddy? And, can I have 1/2?

Happy Holidays!