View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 25, 2005, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

So while I was enjoying the football games yesterday a play came up that brought up some controversy. Maybe someone can help.

Regarding touchbacks - My friends argue that when "team A" punts the ball and recovers the ball on the 1 yard line the ball is down there regardless of whether the player's body crosses the goal line and touches the end zone. Let me be clear - the ball is on the 1 yard line but the player inadvertantly swipes his right hand across the goal line while cradling the ball in his left.

I think this should be a touchback because a part of the players body is touching the EZ - they argue that it doesn't matter where the player's body is only where the ball is.

Second question: What constitutes a downed ball, just touching it by the punting team or does the punting team have to control it for it to be down.

For instance Team A punts the ball and the punting team tries to down the ball at the three yard line, but they inadvertantly kick the ball into the EZ, is the ball down at the 3 or is a TB? What if the ball came to rest on the 1 and was then controlled. Is the ball on the 1 yard line or the 3 yard line?

Can someone help us straighten out this mess?

Thank you so much and have a great Thanksgiving weekend.

[Edited by Danland on Nov 25th, 2005 at 03:45 PM]