View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 23, 2005, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

vertical vs horizontal view improvement

I can appreciate the recognition that "new" can distort one's perception. But I have a measurable value to this new view.

I never thought that the horizontal view improvement was significant. I always thought that the vertical view improvement was the significant improvement. By bringing the front of the bars closer to your eyes, you increase the vertical vision angle (wrt. eye pivot point) That, IMO, is the vision value-added.

I've measured the vertical view of each mask against a batter. With a normal stance (without moving my head), I can see from batters front foot to the top of his head, with HSM. With cap/conventional mask, I see batter from his shoulders (upper bar/cap) to front knee (lower bar). I can see his front foot under the bar, but it is not a continuous view. My "perception" is that this is a significant view improvement.

I "perceive" that on balls hit straight down (where it might hit a batter's leg/foot), I have a better (unobstructed) view. When balls are hit staight up I "perceive" that I can maintain/continue vision of the ball a split second longer which improves my judgement of where the ball is heading with HSM.

As Tee points out, these are an individual's perceptions and may be a distortion of reality (I came of age in the 70's and have some experience with distorted reality). But since my observations are measurable, I think they have validity.

Obviously, your perception of my perception (or the value of it) may differ. And fortunately we have a choice and I think that thought conventional mask may become harder to find, they will be available throughout our lifetimes.