View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 22, 2005, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by M&M Guy
Quote:
Originally posted by David M
On the basis of 3.1.1 (I am quoting from the 2003-04 book) which reads:

Situation: After six players have been disqualified, Team A has only four who are eligible to continue in the game as players. In a gesture of fair play, the coach of Team B indicates a desire to withdraw a player so that each team will have four players on the court.

Ruling: This is not permissible. team B must have five players participating as long as it has that number available. If no substitute is available, a team must continue with fewer than five players. When only one player remains to participate, that team shall forfeit the game unless the referee believes this team still has an opportunity to win the game.
This is a good example where everyone knows the player is available to play. But can you tell me what the definition of "available" is? Again, who makes that determination? What rule are you using to determine that an injured player isn't "available"? How about using the severity of the injury - maybe a player went out with a floor burn on their knee, and the overprotective parents don't want them to play anymore. You and I know a little floor burn isn't enough to keep a player from playing, so do we tell them to suck it up and get out there anyway? What about the player that mouths off to the coach, and the coach tells them they're done for the day; is that player "available"? Do we stand there and argue with the coach and tell them they have to play?

Thinking too much about this can lead to too many unwanted problems. If the coach tells me the player is no longer available, then they're not available. Don't get caught up trying to over-officiate a situation that doesn't affect the game directly. [/B]
If the coach tells me a player is injured that is the end of the story. They play with four. If the coach tells me s/he is a pain in the a$$ and I am not going to play her/him that is a different story.