View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 21, 2005, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

TXMike - please don't assume that because I have a criticism, that I have no ability. Judging from your response here and the one in the admittedly absurd thread from the OU-Tech game that was deleted, you seem to be of the opinion that if we have not worked at a particular level, we are not allowed to comment on it.

I'd give an arm to walk in Ed Hochuli's shoes for just one weekend, or even to be the lowest of the low on the NFL totem pole. But I don't think that disqualifies me from having an opinion or the ability to express it.

You missed the beginning of my post - normally, I think Hochuli is the best. And perhaps the NFL made a general comment to ALL referees to explain more - but yesterday, Mr. Hochuli took his already verbose style to the point of absurdity. The worst were the two mentions of "By Rule". "By rule" makes sense when there is some sort of odd play (maybe even appropriate when saying, By Rule, these penalties offset). You don't need to tell us that BY RULE, a late hit is a personal foul. As an unbiased, non-official observer, it was really bad (as evidenced by the peanut gallery I was watching the game with). As an official, it was beyond bad - and borderline painful.