Thread: "No rim"
View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Cyber-Ref
Also, in my reading of rules and cases I find several references to "ring OR backboard" touches.( RB 9-1-10, CB 9.1.9 Situation A)

Does this mean that if a free thrower shoots and the ball touches the backboard and NOT the ring it is legal?
It is, of course, a violation if the ball fails to touch the rim during a FT. The references to "rim or backboard" are to when the restrictions end for the players along the lane. They can enter the lane when the ball hits the backboard, even if it hasn't hit the rim yet.

Quote:
Lastly, a purist would call the play: whistle, color, point, but at this level it seems that vocalizing "no rim" helps everyone understand the call.

What to do?
I always vocalize "no rim". Probably not exactly right per the manual, but it makes clear exactly why I blew the whistle. If you don't say it, it could be just about any FT violation. Offensive player in the lane early, shooter steps over the line early, player standing on the 3-point line. Who will know what you called if you don't say it?