Thread: Basket Good?
View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 16, 2005, 05:19pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by SeanFitzRef
JR,

In this instance, Casebook 4.41.4 Sit B makes my case. Try is obviously no good, but deflects off another player from EITHER team and into the basket. Why is the ball dead in the situation described above? It wasn't in contact with any player, the floor, or out of bounds when the horn sounds. No whistle was blown to stop the play. Ball is in the air above the ring, then passes through as time expires. That is how I'm understanding the situation.

Camron, read yours after I typed this, but you both are right, in that it is not an actual 'try' when B deflects the rebound. But the ball is in flight prior to the horn. does it have to pass thru before the horn sounds?

Yes, it has to pass through before the horn sounds. That's exactly what rule 6-7-6 is telling you. R6-7-6 also applies to casebook play 4.41.4SitB. That case book play isn't applicable either because it references a "live" ball going through the basket. If the horn hadda went off before that "live" ball went through, that "live" ball woulda become dead immediately- because it wasn't a "try"- and therefore no basket woulda scored.