View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 16, 2005, 03:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

I would go a little further than what Bob says, I would allow the coach to stand if the coach is giving sign language and not giving other instructions to other players.

I lived went to school in Missouri for one year and we played against the Missouri School of the Deaf twice a year because they were in our conference. It was a little strange at first when we would play them because you did not hear the same kind of chatter between teammates, but after a few minutes you did not even notice it. They were a lot of fun to deal with and I learned a lot about what they had to go through and how normal they seemed. I was better for the experience.

I would think common sense rules the day on this issue. Do whatever you can to make this player become normal in the situation. If the coach has to stand up, and give instructions, I would allow the signer to stand and give instructions. Unless they could come up with a way that would not be a concern and the “coach” would remain seated. Just my two cents on this issue.

Peace