Thread: T's
View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 16, 2005, 02:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

What I've heard before is that players aren't allowed to leave the confines without supervision. This is apparently a liability issue. Coaches should be in on this too. If the player is leaving, and there's no supervision, you must exert some sort of authority, even if it's just to pass the buck to the coach. A T seems like the best way to do that. It might be smart to converse with the coach about it, but I wouldn't warn as deecee suggests. Just say, "Coach, #14 can't leave the area without supervision. Do you have an assistant or a school staff person that can go with her?" Say it quickly and urgently, then T before the kid gets out the door. This way the coach is the one on the hook, not you.

At least this is how I've been told to handle this. Maybe it's just a local thing.
That is not correct. While we're not to send the kid out of the gym, the coach can send them to the locker room along for all we care (per the rules). The issue of supervision is a policy of the school or team, not a rule of the game.

The T for leaving the bench area is to keep a player from going to the baseline and heckling the other team's FT or for keeping a sub from going to the other team's bench during a timeout.
Camron,
It seems the NFHS has a different opinion on the purpose of that rule.

The NFHS specifically addressed players leaving the bench in the POEs last season.

"The committee is also concerned about bench personnel leaving the bench, sometimes during a live ball. Heading into the hallway to get a drink or sitting up in the stands with friends or family, even for a short period of time, are not authorized reasons unless they are medically related. Coaches must ensure that bench personnel remain on the bench."

The NFHS made it clear that coaches cannot just send players to the lockerroom for all we care per the rules.
Players/team members who are DQ'd are to remain on the team bench per the penalty sections of 10-2 and 10-3. Adults who are ejected are to leave the vicinity per the penalties provided in 10-4 and 10-5.

Furthermore, I don't think that rainmaker is incorrect about this.
I know that our state association has instructed us not to allow kids to go off by themselves when they are out of the game, whether that is by the coach's choice, due to injury, or disqualification.
While that is my state office saying that, I have to believe that the NFHS committee intents for these kids to be supervised as well. I sort of remember them issuing something on the supervision issue too.

[Edited by Nevadaref on Nov 16th, 2005 at 05:44 AM]