View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 15, 2005, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jicecone
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Ives
If it's legal to throw the bat in a legitimate attempt to hit a pitch, how can you call the result illegal?

I am not the one that answered the questions about Catchers Interference. I am just questioning how one arrived at the answer.

So I will ask again, convince me, why it is CI when the bat hits the catchers glove, after coming out of his hands.
Would you rule the same for a batter that intentionally tried to cause CI. And how would you tell the difference in each case????

Where does anything say the bat has to be in the batter's hands at the moment of contact? It doesn't. The lunge/loss or throw are legitimate attempts to hit the ball. The catcher's glove hitting the bat is interference with that attempt because it alters the course of the bat. Why do you think it should be different? Are you sure you're not just grasping for reasons because you don't think it shoud be allowed?

Intentionally trying to get a CI call isn't the issue, it's another discussion. This one is about a legitimate attemot to hit the pitch.