View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 15, 2005, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
REMEMBER, these have only gone through some committees and are not yet officially approved or rejected. Do not read anything into this information as that is all it is at this point in time!!! Report is a summarization, not the exact wording of the rule or proposal.
OK, but I still can't resist some comments / opinions.
Quote:
Glove or Mitt may be worn by all defensive players – approved by at least three committees.
Good. Avoids unnecessary enforcement issues.
Quote:
3 and 03 or 0 and 00 are two different numbers – approved by at least two committees.
Ummm... that's four different numbers!
Quote:
Remove “which is judged by the umpire to be dangerous” from the “jewelry rule”. IOW, no jewelry is allowed for any player, PERIOD! – has been rejected by at least two committees.
Good. Even better would be to remove the rule altogether, put it in the code, and make it exclusively the coach's responsibility.
Quote:
New rule involving DQ or ejected “participant". This participant must leave the grounds or the game is forfeited. Please note, the term “grounds” is already in the existing rule and does NOT endorse forcing such a coach/player to actually leave the property, but to remain away from that field and other participants involved in the same game. It is not stating that a youth player be sent to the parking lot or other remote area without adult supervision – so far approved by at least four committees.
I don't even understand the rationale for this rule. Is this mandating leaving the grounds, or broadening the class of individuals that may be ejected (i.e. "participant")?
Quote:
Act of USC by any BR or R shall result in that player being ruled out and ejected. Ball is immediately dead, runner returned to base occupied at the TOP – rejected by at least three committees.
Does this mean the death of the case play? Or, is there a difference perceived between "mere" USC and "flagrant misconduct"?
Quote:
Change to restrict pitching speeds of each age level of championship FP “B” play - rejected by at least two committees.
The march of the flat earth society (level playing field division). Why mandate mediocrity?
Quote:
When a pitched ball, in the umpire’s judgment, is prevented from entering the strike zone by any actions of the batter other than hitting the ball with the bat results in a dead-ball strike – approved by at least two committees.
I would hope there would be a significant POE written if this is approved. Otherwise, there will be rampant confusion among the coaches and umpires (especially at the lower levels of the game) regarding what "prevented from entering the strike zone" means. Even though it should be obvious, trust me, it won't be.
Quote:
REMEMBER, these have only gone through some committees and are not yet officially approved or rejected. Do not read anything into this information as that is all it is at this point in time!!! Report is a summarization, not the exact wording of the rule or proposal.
Even MY attention span isn't that short, Mike!