View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 14, 2005, 10:48am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Reproduced directly and accurately from the 2001-02 RULE BOOK:

POE #4C-.Screens
.Moving screens
1. The screener must be stationary upon contact.
2. It is not a moving screen unless there is contact.

'Nuff said.
Nuff said? Where does it say that the term or definition of a moving screen is illegal? Can you give a rule reference (actually in the rulebook) that uses the term "moving screen" as an illegal act? When I talk to a coach about this, I cannot tell that coach to go back almost 5 years ago and read what that rulebook said. He is going to want to be able to look up this year. Not that a coach is ever going to pick up a rulebook. I cannot show a newer official that reference either. They are not going to have that reference.

Once again, a screen can be moving and be completely legal. I personally do not like the term or accept the terminology as properly being used. If you want to use the term “moving screen” that is your prerogative to do so. Around here, it is not an accepted term because it is not a term the rulebook uses except for that POE. And when that POE came out, there was debate if they should have used the term at all. They also made it clear that all there principles of incidental contact still applied and you had to have the proper time and distance as stated in the rulebook.

Peace