View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 14, 2005, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MPLAHE
Varsity girls scrimmage the other night. Had three illegal screen calls in the first quarter on the home team which had the coach a bit upset since he was obviously teaching this technique. As girls would move laterally in the front court, one of his girls would jumpstop in front of the moving defender. On occasion, the defender was able to avoid the screen, but in most cases the defender could not and would crash into the offensive player. I know this is a judgement call and can be a tough one to make, but in my opinion, the offensive player was not allowing the defender enough distance (1-2 steps/strides) to avoid the contact. Anyone else see this coaching teachnique in the girls game?

BTW, it stopped by the second quarter and the coach wanted to know why I wasn't allowing his kids to set picks. I told him if set properly, they can set all the picks they want, but these were not legal and better that they learn it now then during the season.
MPLAHE,
From what you wrote I have no foul here at all. the girl can jumpstop all day for all I care right before the girl hits her and this not be illegal. When a screener is in the visual parameters of the screenee, time and distance do not matter. I believe the rulebook says anything short of contact. I would say that this is just my opinion but it's not, it's the NFHS's, NCAA's, and NBA's.

For what it's worth I don't like to see kids get hurt because of stuff like this, but it happens. I'll give you two examples:

1) Kings and Mavericks at dallas: bibby taking the ball up the floor with the dallas rookie pg putting pressure on him in the backcourt. bibby starts to accelerate. right about that time the center for the kings turns around just in time and gets a firm position, the kid hits the center and is knocked out cold. danny crawford, the referee, deemed this to be legal contact. The kid who got screened had a concussion.

2)YBOA state tournament 9 and under:
Little girls falling down everywhere and parents getting upset of course, nothing illegal happening(working with a college official by the way)With about 5 seconds left in the game almost the same as above happened except the whole team was in a press, and the little girl went down and the coach/mom came onto the court with no whistle being sounded and just started to berate me, so I T her up calmly and told her to attend to the child, then all of sudden the asst. coach/dad comes onto the floor hootin and hollerin, and my partner comes from behind and had to toss him out of the gym.

All that just to reiterate what somebody said earlier, we are not out there to keep people from getting hurt, we are out there to call it by the rules, and from what it sounds like you know those pretty well and are confident in your skills, but you are like me when I first started reffing, you think if someone gets hurt it is your fault cause you didn't catch something sooner. Yes coaches and parents will blame you for it most of the time, but that comes with making the "big bucks". keep working hard to get those plays right.

tip: whether you are in two or three man crew, if you can get to the topside of these screens especially in pick n' roll plays it is like a whole new world.