View Single Post
Old Sat Nov 12, 2005, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

One quarter into the season and I'm already having a difference in opinion over a rule change. In Iowa, the girls had adaptations from the NFHS rules, such as numbers on uniforms, coaches putting players back in who were previously unconscious and also when the PA changes on the throw in. Working j-high girls, often times the scorekeepers are students and the coaches are their teachers. So when a coach says something to the student about the arrow not being correct, the student doesn't know any differently and just changes it.

I noticed the arrow was off yesterday at one point and the reason was that after a tie up, we had an arrow change. But the coach had the kids reverse the arrow back, claiming the arrow shouldn't have changed because the ensuing TI was stolen by the opposing team. So the coach, in a 19-4 game at quarter (though the score shouldn't matter) was sure their team should have had the arrow because of this stolen pass earlier in the first quarter. "That's the way it was explained to us." Never heard of such a thing.

The arrow changes when the ball touches or is touched by someone inbounds. Doesn't say teammate or anything like that. I think we convinced the coach we knew what we were doing but you know how it can be talking to coaches sometimes.

What makes me mad is that I didn't even think to whack them with a T for touching the possession arrow without consenting the officials. Must be getting soft in my old age. Of course, I would have politely told the coach to bring that type of issue up to us first, and not handle it on their own.

Long post, someone enlighten me if we did something wrong. I realize there are violations/fouls that can occur during throw-ins and so forth, I have a decent handle on those.