View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 10, 2005, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

exam problems

I'm calling bball again after a 20 year absence due to raising kids, coaching and following a daughter play college ball. I think I missed one question in our recent exam, BUT the exam struck me as somewhat missing the point for improving the vast majority of officiating.

The questions and their answers (while valid in their formal context), seemed for the most part to hinge on one's ability to recognize the mistake in the exact phrasing and realize when a portion of a sentence did not match the text in either the rules or case book.

The test was interesting but I think it might be difficult to achieve a fair degree of success on it without an open book or years of experience in the minutia of the rules.

And perhaps that's the goal of the test -- to make people go back to the rules/case/manual books every year to refresh themselves.

Yet, when I watch a few college or (most of the) pro games these days, I'm wondering how those guys in the striped shirts could (I'm guessing) do so well at the written portion of the exam and fail so often to manage the game that's taking place a few feet in front of their eyes.

Good luck on your exam.....I thought I was the only one who worried about it.